• Animal Services


Uxbridge/Scugog Animal Shelter:

Effective March 13th, the Uxbridge-Scugog Animal Shelter is closed to the public. Shelter staff continue to look after the animals in their care. Animal Control officers are responding to calls for assistance for sick, stray or injured animals. We always appreciate donations but cannot accept them in person at this time. Animal adoptions have been suspended until further notice. To reach a member of our Animal Services department please call 905-985-9547.

1360 Reach StreetLocated at:

Port Perry, ON L9L 1B2
1360 Reach Road, east of Hwy. #12
(905) 985-9547
Email Address:  pound@uxbridge-scugog-animal-shelter.ca

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm 
Saturday's 10:00am to 12:00pm (June to December open until 2:00pm)

Emily Gerber, Supervisor
Animal Control Officer

1360 Reach Street
Port Perry, ON L9L 1B2

1360 Reach Road, east of Hwy. #12

Brianna Hollinger
Animal Control Officer

1360 Reach Street
Port Perry, ON L9L 1B2

1360 Reach Road, east of Hwy. #12

Phone:  905-985-9547
Fax: 905-985-2015
Email:  bhollinger@uxbridge-scugog-animal-shelter.ca

Jessica Pett
Animal Control Officer

1360 Reach Street
Port Perry, ON L9L 1B2
1360 Reach Road, east of Hwy. #12

Phone:  905-985-9547
Fax: 905-985-2015
Email:  jpett@uxbridge-scugog-animal-shelter.ca

Services Provided:
The Animal Shelter cares for lost, injured stray cats and dogs until they can be reunited with their owners or placed for adoption.  Animal Control Officers enforce the Township of Uxbridge Animal Control By-laws.

For more information or to check out the adoptable pets online, go to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/uxbridge.scugog.9 or 


Pet Licences:

Pet Licences are now available online at Docupet.com, at the Town Hall, 51 Toronto St. S.or at the Uxbridge/Scugog Animal Shelter. Tags may be purchased by mail upon receipt of the fee, owner's name, mailing address, telephone number, name, breed, and sex of the dog.
*Maximum 2 dogs per household, (unless you have 10 or more acres, then 3 maximum)

Animal Control By-law Complaint

If you would like to report a potential violation of the Animal Control By-law, click here to download the form.

After Hours Protocol

After Hours Information

Fee Schedule - Additional Information

Adoption Fees
Details Fee (includes HST)
Dogs (including puppies) $150.00
Cats (including kittens) $100.00
Other Domestic Animal $55.00
Licence Fees
Details Fees (HST n/a)
Dog - spayed or neutered $25.00
Dog - unaltered $35.00
Cat - optional $20.00
Impoundment Administration Fees
Details Fees (HST n/a)
Dog - licensed $30.00
Dog - not licensed $50.00
Second or subsequent occurrence $75.00

Daily Care fee
(every Dog or Cat impounded is subject to an
additional charge for every day or part of a day
after the Animal is brought into the Shelter)

In addition to the fees detailed above, every Owner of a
Dog not licensed for the current year who is a resident of the Municipality is also required to pay the licence fees in addition to the impoundment fees
Varies, inaccordance with Uxbridge's licensing fees
Tag replacement fee $6.00
Transfer Fees
Details Fees (HST n/a)
Animal Control can only accept surrendered Animals if they can reasonably be expected to be placed in a new home.  Animals will not be accepted for euthanasia.  Pets are screened carefully to avoid placing problem animals in new homes.
Transfer of ownership of a Dog or litter, brought into Animal Shelter $65.00
Transfer of owner of a Cat or litter, brought into the Animal Shelter $40.00
Boarding New Kennel $200.00/year
Existing Kennel $150.00/year
Breeding New Kennel $200.00/year
Existing Kennel
Private New Kennel
Existing Kennel

Animal Services FAQ's 

Do I have to get my cat licensed?

Under the Township of Uxbridge Animal Control By-law 2009-81 there is currently no requirement to license your cat.

Do I have to get my dog licensed?

Yes, dogs are required to be licensed annually and have a current license tag on their collar at all times.

Do you board animals?

The Township of Uxbridge does not board animals. All facilities are currently used for the care of stray or abandoned animals.

How long do you keep animals?

All stray animals are held for five (5) business days to allow owners time to reclaim them. After the five (5) days, the animals are placed up for adoption and are cared for at the shelter until a suitable adopter is found. There is no time limit.

How many dogs am I allowed to have?

The Township of Uxbridge Animal Control By-law limits the number of dogs at two (2) for most property owners. If a property measures greater than 4 hectares an increased limit of three (3) dogs is permitted.

Must I keep my dog on a leash?

Yes, the Animal Control By-law requires owners to have their dog on a leash when the dog is away from the owners property. This applies to all municipal properties. However, the Township of Uxbridge does provide an off-leash experience for dogs, at the Uxbridge Off-Leash Dog Park located at 7239 Concession 6, Uxbridge.  Other Off-Leash Dog Parks in the area may be found here.

What is the role of Animal Services?

Animal Services are responsible for the licensing of all dogs within Uxbridge and Scugog, as well as responding to stray animal calls, and maintaining the animal shelter, including adoptions and record management for the animals.

What do I do if an animal bites me?

Seek medical attention as soon as possible, and report animal bites to the Durham Region Health Department 905-985-4889 and to Animal Services at 905-985-9547. If you feel that you are in immediate danger call 911

Who do I call to report cruelty to animals?

Please call 310-SPCA to report animal cruelty, neglect or abuse or Durham Region Humane Society at 905-665-7430, or Durham Regional Police at 905-579-1520.

Who is responsible for picking up after dogs?

Whoever has control of the dog. This is usually the owner, or dog walker.

Who removes dead animals from roadways?

Domestic animals are picked up by the Animal Control Department, while deceased wildlife are removed by the Public Works crews. Please call 905-852-9181 to report a case of deceased wildlife that requires removal.

animal control, dog license, pound